Saturday, March 20, 2010

Research Paper Possibilities

Two artifacts I’m interested in pursuing for my research paper would be producing and recording music in Canada or Canadian record labels, or the punk rock movement of the 70's in Canada. I have a personal interest in these artifacts that I think would be very useful for reference in the future in terms of my career choices.

Issues that I could talk about regarding Canadian music labels could be about the success of them, the popularity, awareness or preference. I could discuss location and its importance, indie labels versus major labels, the pros and cons of those labels. I could talk about certain labels in particular, and the positives and negatives of producing and recording in Canada (money, marketing). Theories I could discuss in my analysis would be agenda setting and cultivation effects or how labels can act as a culture industry, producing culture and how this is received by consumers.

Issues I could talk about regarding the punk rock movement of the 70's could include its emergence in Canada, the political implications it had, the unacceptance of it and then its development as mainstream. Upon analysis I could again apply theories of media effects and agenda setting and cultivation effect-how punk was presented/represented in the media and how it was perceived. With this I might also apply audience reception theory

No comments:

Post a Comment